JoeLavelle

Only the good stuff

I read a lot and love to read. I find great pleasure in good science fiction, and enjoy thinking about the great stories I've read and agonizing over what will come next. The information I provide here is for me. I long been a voracious reader, but never a review writer. But I've been tempted to try to document my thoughts on the why, what and how of the books I enjoyed. But do feel free to peruse, and please do suggest a great read you think I'd like.

Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams
Timothy Lister, Tom DeMarco
The Prefect
Alastair Reynolds
Food Rules: An Eater's Manual
Michael Pollan

Blindsight

Blindsight - Peter Watts Crap! And to think I hemmed and hawed about reading this book. I loved this book. I was stuck at home, sick with the flu, and I read this fantastic story in two sittings. Heck, I worry that my delirium has affected my judgment, but I feel right now (still sick) that this is the best science fiction story I ever read.

It is a first contact theme set in the near future, both of which I dislike. But this story is well told and hits on important topics to human nature, making them central to the story to spectacularly illustrate a compelling point of view.

I'm impressed with the craft and just had a blast reading it. Oh, and I loved the quotes.

Just read it.